25 May 2012

Everette Harp and Indra Lesmana at Red White Jazz Lounge


So, I went to Red White Jazz Lounge again last night. Yes, the second time in 5 days!!!!! All started out when I saw that Indra Lesmana (of course, the coolest jazz musician on earth) will be performing with an American first-class saxophonist, Everette Harp.... On twitter, Indra said that they will play "Aku Ingin" which is one of Indra's biggest hits! So, I was like, MAN I WANNA GO!!! and realize there's no way I could since:
1. NO ONE WOULD WANNA GO WITH ME
2. The first drink charge is one hundred and fifty freaking rupiahs. Which is about my lunch money for a week. Or two. Or maybe three during the summer, when I rarely go out. And I have spent a fortune on my last trip to RW Lounge.
3. My bro is out of town, and NO ONE WOULD PICK ME UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. Fu*k the inability to drive.

And then God (being supah dupah good, as usual) started giving me hope:
1. SOMEONE GAVE ME FREE TICKETS! Yay!!! For two people! Now I just need to drag some one with me...
2. MY VERY BEST FRIEND SILFARA IS IN TOWN!! We've been friends for as long as know it. She'd come with me if I begged her to... Also, I think it's good for her to try some new things (jazz, in this case). PLUS she drives. And her parents are pretty lenient about going out at night, go home lateeee at night, so I can like sleep over her house.

So there I have it!

We got there at 10 pm, an hour late, but I knew they did not start until at least 9:30. Thankfully, we still got some space with great views! I get to meet a friend I've been looking forward to see (GREATNESS IN LIFE, THANK YOU GOD) and then we settled at a standing space (where I must have had blocking someone else's view, again, lol)

THE MUSIC! Yay finally. It was superrrrrrrrr great, of course. This is the song list, taken by Novan Yahya : http://instagr.am/p/K-kfH_SXJb/


The highlight for me and Silfara really is "Aku Ingin". (It's "I Wish" in English but I don't want to say "I Wish" because Indra actually has another song called "I Wish") that super hit, played by super high class musicians, LIVE...... Amazingness.
Also, in the car, Silfara and I had been listening to Indra Lesmana's Album "For Earth and Heaven" (which he produced when he was 18 in the US, awesome, I know). Some of the songs in that album was performed last night, and it's AWESOME to listen to those great songs, LIVE.
And, other songs are from Everette Harp's album. Which of course really really great.

In between songs, Indra talked, Everette talked, and Mr. Peter Gontha, who, as far as I concerned, is the one who set up Indra Lesmana and Everette Harp's Asian Tour to Malaysia, Indonesia, and Japan, talked.
I can't remember much of what they said.

Indra said a lot about how much he loved playing with Everette, and it really is an honor to play with him.

Everette said a lot of things. Looked like he was REALLY REALLY impressed with the band. Hahaha. And he said that it was only the second time in his career he played without his band, and these guys were great. He tried to pronounce the band members' names correctly (Denny TR (pronounced well), Barry Likumahuwa (pronounced well), Sandy WinARRRRRta (pronounced VERY well. He said it's influenced with his Italian. WinARRRRRTA) and Indra Lesmana (Indra MOREmana, he said, hahahaha)).

I wrote down two other thigs he said: "I hope you really know what you have here." to the audience about Indra Lesmana, Barry Likumahuwa, Sandy Winarta, and Denny TR. "I'd be impressed to find musicians this good in the States." 


He also talked about his album "My Inspiration" which was a tribute to his dad who passed away 5 years ago. Looks like his dad is his biggest influence, and I know for sure that Indra Lesmana share the feeling. They performed one of Everette's songs from the album "All Jazzed Up and Nowhere to Go"

Peter Gontha thanked the sponsors.. Garuda Indonesia, BMI, Departemen Pariwisata.... Also he said this is the first time, jazz musician in Everette Harp caliber collaborating with Indonesian musician.

After show, there was Gary Anthony performing with Oele Patisellano, Yance Manusama, and the rest of the band. Gary Anthony was a Frank Sinatra impersonator. It was such a nice, funny, performance. Unfortunately, lotsa people leave after the Everette show, which was such a HUGE loss for them!

Afterwards, I went up to the guy who gave me free pass and THANKED HIM FOR THAT!!! And then he introduced me to Mr. Everette Harp. I, being stupid, did not take picture (dang dang dang God oh why....... but You have been really really nice to me so this is NOTHING God, you should know that) well, the camera that Silfara brought ran out of battery, Silfara's blackberry was also ran out of battery, and my phone, still have some power in it, and it's a pretty good camera as well, but yeah, again, I was being stupid, so we did not take pics. Stooooooooopid. But, yeah, I get to talk to Mr.Everette Harp. Cool enough.

Silfara kept saying that they're all AMAZING people. All amazing people on stage together. She also said that she WOULD pay 150k for that. Hahaha!

Silfara: "Who's that guy on drums?" Lol. That's Sandy Winarta. "He's a great drummer." Yeah, pretty cute too, huh?

It was a great great night after all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finished the writing above on Thursday, May 24. In the morning, of course, maybe around 10 or 11. I was sleeping over Silfara's house, so I was still in her room, waiting for her to wake up. I left at about 1 PM, went to the gym, and then went home. I did intend to go back to Silfara's house that evening to help her with her online class work, until I saw a message on my twitter inbox. The guy who gave me the ticket the night before asked if I wanted to go again that night. I was like, "SUREEEEEEE!!! Need to double check with my friend first though. She had fun last night!"
I texted Silfara and she was dealing with her school about the wrong online class that she took (and paid for). Fortunately, she was all excited and still wanted to go out AGAIN that night and attempted to ask her friend to join us (failed. But at least she tried...)
We arrived a little bit earlier that night. And get a better parking space. Had some spare time to brush our hair in the car and all. The guy in the ticket box recognized me immediately and said "Nisa, right? Please just go ahead...." I just smiled to him and Silfara and I walked in. It was almost 10, but the show had not started yet. I believe there was a little less people than the night before at the lounge. The good thing is, we get seats!! Without reserving a table! Yahoo! So we sat down, ordered drinks, and eventually the show started.

The songs played that night were mostly the same... They played another original work of Indra Lesmana "No Standing" from the album "No Standing" he released in Los Angeles when he was SIXTEEN FREAKING YEARS OLD! Geezus chrysler! I haven't done sh*t when I was 16! Seriously, though, what have you done when you were sixteen? This guy is a real genius!!!

And then there was an encore.. they played "All Jazzed Up", and Everette told the audience about his dad again. Oh, and I haven't mentioned that Indra Lesmana's Mom, Nien Lesmana, was there that 2nd night. "Most importantly, did your mom enjoy it. Did you enjoy it?" Everette asked Nien Lesmana in the middle of the show. "Yes I did." she answered.

And have I told you that Everette Harp was a funny guy? He was, indeed. During the encore, he played his sax walking closely to each tables, as if he were playing privately for us! He also walked to the people standing outside the lounge, and it was just really funny cuz people were surprised!

There was no Gary Anthony that night. But I get to talk to Everette again and this time, we took pictures!!!

Everette Harp,  Nisa, Indra Lesmana

Everette Harp, Silfara, Indra Lesmana.

(Okay, I know that Silfara edited this picture, but don't you guys think Indra Lesmana looks MORE good-looking on this picture than the one with me? He ALWAYS does. Why does he look better on pic with my friends instead of me? Maybe, because I am REALLY AWESOME so he looks relatively a little less awesome when he's in one frame with me. Yeah. That must be why.)


Everette harp was very warm and nice. I told him that Silfara and I were going to college in the states, and we said that we're gonna go see him if he ever come to our area. He started asking where we went to school, bla bla bla... Super nice guy.

Of course I thanked the guy who gave me the tickets. Again. I walked up to him and talked to him for quite some time... He was gonna travel and all. It's always nice to see him and I have always been thankful for the relationship I have with him.

Everette Harp and Indra Lesmana Quartet previously performed at the Kuala Lumpur Jazz Festival in Malaysia, and are going to perform in Blue Note Tokyo, Japan on May 27-28. So they have only a couple days off before they fly again.

It must be nearly 1 AM when I air kissed my friend (the guy who gave me ticket) and left the lounge.

Freebies, best friends, awesome musicians......What a remarkable two-nights!!!!


1 comment:

Miguel N said...

Really nice post! I love Indra's music! Greetings from Mexico